27/29 Links Road, Portslade,
Brighton and Hove,
BN41 1XH

Travel Health and Immunisations

We are pleased to offer our registered patients a travel health service. Our nurse uses up to date information to advise you on your health needs related to destinations around the world. They can administer most vaccinations and provide prescriptions for treatments where needed.

Many people are taking long haul holidays requiring complicated courses of vaccines. Children also need to he vaccinated for travel abroad. Most travel vaccinations are free. To assist you in these requirements please see additional travel health information below.

Booking your Appointment with the Nurse

  • Travel Risk Assessment:
    If you are planning a trip abroad please complete a Travel Risk Assessment form (available from reception) with details of your proposed journey. (Kindly note that this service is for registered patients only)
  • Travel Appointment:
    Once you have completed your online assessment form it will be reviewed by our Practice Nurses who will contact you to advise your vaccination requirements and to book an appointment. If you have not been contacted within one week of completing the travel risk assessment form please telephone the surgery.
  • Allow Plenty of Time:
    Patients are advised to allow plenty of time for vaccinations (at least two or three months) especially if traveling to an out-of-the-way place where they'll be living or working among local people. Some courses of vaccine such as rabies or Hepatitis B need to be given over several weeks.

Top of Page

Consult Your Practice Nurse, GP or Pharmacist Well In Advance

You should attend for a travel consultation at least two months before your departure.

Some vaccinations cannot be given at the same time, and some take time to be effective. Immunisation against hepatitis B, for example, can take up to six months to give full protection. However, seek advice even if you are going at short notice, some protection may be better than none. It is important to inform your practice nurse where you are going, if you are or may become pregnant, and if you are taking children with you. This is particularly important if they have not had their full course of childhood immunisations.

If you need anti malaria medication, your practice nurse will advise on which is most appropriate. You should start taking the medication before departure.

If you require prescribed medicines whilst abroad, check on their availability at your destination since your doctor can normally only prescribe a limited quantity under the NHS.

If the medication cannot be obtained where you are going, you will have to purchase supplies in the UK.

Top of Page

Paying For Immunisations and Anti Malarial Tablets

Some immunisations are available under the NHS. For others there may be a charge.

Travel vaccines available at no charge

Hepatitis A (adult or junior), Typhoid, Tetanus, Diptheria, Polio

Travel Vaccines available subject to a fee

  • Yellow Fever vaccination: £52
  • Yellow fever exemption certificate: £10
  • Hepatitis B course of 3 injections: £40 each injection (£120)

The following vaccines are not available at the surgery

Japanese Encephalitis, Hepatitis A immunoglobulin, Rabies, Meningitis ACWY

Top of Page


Some anti-malaria tablets are available to buy from pharmacists without a prescription. Others are only available on a private prescription, the surgery charges a Private Prescription Fee of £12.00 plus you will then have to pay the cost of the medication at the pharmacy.

It is also possible to purchase your malaria tablets from a private Travel Clinic.

Top of Page

Mosquito Bite Avoidance for Travellers

In many tropical countries, mosquitoes can spread diseases such as dengue, chikungunya, West Nile, malaria, yellow fever and Zika. Here are five simple rules you should follow to reduce your risk of infections spread by mosquitoes.

Mosquito Bite Avoidance for Travellers Leaflet.

Top of Page

Travel Clinics In Brighton and Hove

  • Sussex Travel Clini, 30 The Drive, Hove, BN3 3JD. Telephone 01273 749100
  • St Peter’s Medical Centre Travel Clinic, 30 to 36 Oxford Street, Brighton. Telephone 01273 606636
  • Superdrug Travel Centre, 78 Western Road,  Brighton, BN1 2JA. Telephone 01273 729559

Top of Page

Taking Medicines Out of the United Kingdom

If you want to take any sort of medicine with you, either prescribed or bought from a pharmacist, find out if there are any restrictions on taking it in and out of the United Kingdom (UK) or the country you are visiting. Ask the relevant Embassy or High Commission or the Home Office Drugs Branch (Telephone 020 7217 8457 or  020 7217 8446).

Always carry medicines in a correctly labelled container, as issued by the pharmacist. Otherwise take a letter from your doctor or a personal health record card giving details of the drug prescribed in case you need it to get you through Customs. Remember, some medicines available over the counter in the UK may be controlled in other countries, and vice versa.

Travelling with Medicine Containing a Controlled Drug.

Top of Page

Existing Medical Conditions and Medication

Keep a written record on your person of any medical condition affecting you, such as angina pectoris, diabetes and haemophilia, and the proper names, not just the trade names, of any medication you are taking.

Top of Page

Have A Dental Check Up

If you have any doubts about your teeth, or you plan to be away for a long time, see your dentist. It may be difficult and expensive to obtain dental treatment at your destination.

Top of Page

Emergency Medical Travel Kits

These contain a variety of sterilised and sealed items of equipment, such as syringes, needles and suture materials, and may be purchased through a pharmacist, private medical centre, or from a number of other suppliers. They should normally be handed to a doctor or nurse for use in a medical emergency in a country where the safety of such items cannot be assured.

Emergency medical travel kits should carry sufficient identification to ensure their acceptance by Customs officials, but the contents should not be opened until needed. It is also unwise to carry loose syringes or needles unless you have a doctor's letter explaining their purpose if, for example, you are diabetic.

Top of Page

Health Insurance

Health insurance is very often one of the last items on a traveller's checklist, yet it is perhaps the most important of all. People tend to forget that they may have to pay thousands of pounds in medical costs if they fall ill or have an accident outside the UK. This is true even in countries, with which the UK has mutual health care agreements because, even in such cases, the arrangements may not cover all the expenses you can incur.

The cost of bringing a person back to the UK, in the event of illness or death, is never covered, even under the reciprocal arrangements. If you have a pre-existing condition, ALWAYS tell your travel insurer otherwise you may not be covered by the policy you buy. If you are driving in any country outside the UK and you have an accident, you may not be covered for medical or hospital expenses.

Consult your insurance company or a motoring organisation before leaving the UK to make sure that you are fully insured. No matter where you are going to travel, ALWAYS check that your insurance cover is adequate to meet whatever expenses you are likely to have to incur. Always examine the small print of the policy. And talk to your insurer if in any doubt.

Top of Page

First Aid Kits

A check list of items you should consider including:

Emergency medications: these may include paracetamol tablets for headache and antacids for indigestion.

Diarrhoea: fluid replacement powders can be useful especially for children. Anti diarrhoea tablets can be obtained from your pharmacist and are normally used only by older children and adults (carefully read the instructions and ask the pharmacists advice).

Minor injuries: gauze squares, non adherent dressings, bandages, fabric plasters, adhesive tape, antiseptic, scissors, tweezers and safety pins.

Bites: insect repellents and an antihistamine cream may be helpful.

Sterilising water: tablets for emergencies (especially if filters are not being used)

Sun exposure: sun block and a cream for using after sunbathing.

Top of Page

On Return to the UK

Report any illness treated abroad, any ongoing condition, especially fever, gastrointestinal problems and flu like illness up to one year after return. Malaria tablets as prescribed.

Top of Page

Useful Travel Information Websites

The Health Organisations for Travel section on this website contains lots of useful links to help you.

Top of Page

Additional Independent Travel Advice